WE ARE HIRING AN ACCOUNTANT AT THE APN
APN is seeking to recruit a dynamic, proactive, self-motivated, result-oriented, and experienced individual for an Accountant position. The successful applicant shall be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Who are we?
The APN is a continent-wide network of African-owned and African-led philanthropy support organizations (PSOs) and individuals in Africa and its diaspora who promote the culture and promote the voice and actions for African philanthropy. It is a space for African institutions and individuals to interrogate the power dynamics that shape how resource mobilization, distribution, and spending impact the possibilities of transformative change in Africa. APN members include grantmaking organizations (both foundations and funds), CSOs, academic and research institutions, as well as philanthropy infrastructure organizations. The Network members envision a strong and effective philanthropic community, striving to build equitable and just societies in Africa. APN’s mission is to reclaim the power and elevate African philanthropy practices. Reclaiming the power of African philanthropy entails reclaiming voice, actions, and resources!
The accountant will be working in a flexible innovative environment and is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee’s abilities as appropriate. The main task is to coordinate and ensure effective implementation of APN’s finances and books of accounts and ensure timely reporting and compliance. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure that all payments are accurately supported, approved and coded, and paid in a timely manner as per the payment workflow with the reasons for delays in payments clearly explained in the approved system.
- Ensure proper preparation of monthly payroll journal for the organization and proper filing.
- In the absence of any of the account assistants, form backup for capturing transactions in the approved financial management system.
- Ensure monthly and quarterly financial reports are well prepared in a timely manner with the desired quality.
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations for all APN accounts are done, charges by the bank are consistent with the agreed bank charges and overdue items in bank reconciliations are dealt with in a timely manner as per the financial and administrative manual.
- Maintain donor commitment tables and ensure timely submission of donor reports as per donor requirements.
- Ensure proper documentation; and filling of both physical and electronic financial documents including ensuring easy retrieval of documents and proper arrangement of documents to ensure proper follow-ability.
- Contribute to developing realistic budgets that are corresponding to the organization’s plan.
- Prepare semi-annually and annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in Tanzania and internationally recognized financial reporting practices (IFRS).
- Maintain imprest accounts for all staff and follow up on immediate retirements, in case of non-compliance remind and guide staff on the retirement policy.
- Manage petty cash and credit card in line with financial regulations and procedures.
- Support oversight and reconciliations of assets.
- Assist to provide guidance to staff on financial policies and responding to any queries directed to the finance unit.
- Preparation for and collaboration with auditors to ensure proper financial records and statements
- Support in financial administration matters as guided by the Executive Director.
- Successfully implement all required responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with APN policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, reporting, and information dissemination of APN’s work.
- Support fundraising initiatives in the organization whenever required
- Collaborate with APN staff and members countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of an internal platform, electronic calendar, and being accessible on electronic communication platforms as per APN requirements.
- Participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established APN values, policies, regulations, guidelines, and procedures.
- Undertake any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your supervisor, or Executive Director.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Holder of Certified Public Accountant (CPA -T) certificate or equivalent preferred.
- At least five years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent administrative, planning, and budgeting skills.
- Experience in using accounting packages, as well as MS Office.
- Impeccable, corruption-free reputation and integrity.
- Ability to keep deadlines and keen attention to detail.
- Experience in NGO accounts/financial management.
- Good English and Swahili speaking and writing skills.
- Skills and experience in fundraising are an added advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Collaborative and team player.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should send their Application Letter, and Curriculum Vitae along with three referees through email@example.com; with the subject of your email indicating the position you are applying for.
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for application for this position is;
Friday, 27th April 2022. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.