Feminist Republik Champion – Anglophone
Organization: UAF-Africa Posted: 11 Jan 2021 Closing date: 29 Jan 2021
Urgent Action Fund-Africa (UAF-Africa) is a feminist, pan-African, Rapid Response Fund committed to transforming power relations through resourcing African feminists and womn human rights defenders and their formations as an act of solidarity. Recognising the need to move resources rapidly on a continent where opportunities and threats arise and decline quickly, UAF-Africa uses a Rapid Response Grant making mechanism to support unanticipated, time sensitive, innovative and unique initiatives that promote womn’s agency in peace and political participation, social and economic power building as well as natural resources governance and stewardship. The Fund works to support African Womn Human Rights Defenders (AWHRDs), particularly in the feminist and womn’s rights movements, in their actions, which enable them to support and sustain themselves, each other and their work before, during and after urgent situations.
UAF-Africa mobilises resources from a broad base of international and increasingly local funders committed to protecting and advancing womn’s rights and feminist agendas in Africa. Our primary purpose is to provide funding to AWHRDs and their groups, organisations and the movements to help them prepare for and navigate urgent situations with appropriate actions. This puts them in the position to support and sustain themselves, each other and their work during and after the urgent circumstances they find themselves.
The African Women’s Human Rights Defenders Platform (Feminist Republik) was established with three buckets of work defining its focus: Holistic protection including safety, security and wellbeing; healing justice; documentation and knowledge generation.
UAF-Africa is registered in Kenya and Zimbabwe. Operating as a virtual organisation, the Fund boasts of strategic physical presence in East Africa: Nairobi, Kenya and Kampala, Uganda; North Africa: Cairo, Egypt; Central Africa: Bujumbura, Burundi and Yaounde, Cameroon; Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe and Antananarivo, Madagascar and West Africa: Abuja, Nigeria, Cotonou, Benin and Dakar, Senegal.
The Programme Assistant would provide administrative, coordination and logistical support of the Feminist Republik Initiative. This includes developing, planning and disseminating social media and managing the portfolio’s digital resources. The candidate reports directly to the Feminist Republik Creative Facilitator.
Act as the initial interface acknowledging receipt of correspondence and documentation and providing prompt and appropriate communication;
· Create dynamic graphics, written, and video content relevant to the Initiative regularly;
· Engage in sharing social media content on all our existing and emerging social media platforms;
· Propose and develop new ideas and concepts for social media content and campaigns;
· Develop and maintain an efficient electronic filing system for the program, including assistance in processing preliminary program draft documents;
· Support in portfolio team meetings, conference calls/video-conferences, including preparing and distributing necessary documents. Takes minutes of regular meetings as required;
· Maintains and updates team database, mail list, social media infrastructure.
· Coordinates translation work, proofreading, editing of program documents and resources as required;
· Assisting with programmatic activity reports including the documentation process and tracking the Initiative’s indicators;
· Preparing Initiative reports as assigned;
Assisting in preparations and logistics for Initiative activities, outreach and networking missions;
Performing any other duties as may be assigned by the Programme Officer and or Coordinator.
· Degree in Social Sciences, Women’s Studies, Political Sciences, International Development, Law or related fields**
Skills and Experience
· 2 years’ experience in grantmaking processes is required;
· Excellent organizational skills, record keeping, information processing skills and ability to multi task;
· Experience in developing social media content, graphic design, written and/or video blogs;
· Experience in data entry, report writing and data analytics;
- Strong communication skills; inter-personal, public speaking, writing and facilitation skills;
· Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced working environment;
· Flexibility and willingness to travel on the African continent and beyond as and when required;
- An understanding of gender equality and women’s rights issues, particularly in politically unstable and post conflict African settings;
- Familiarity with the women’s rights development needs in Africa;
- Passionate about UAF-Africa’s mission, committed to teamwork, and achieving results and building effective teams;
- Experience working in a virtual work environment an added advantage;
- Flexible and willing to perform other tasks as assigned, in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment;
- UAF-Africa is a part of a global UAF-Sisterhood network and staff are expected to occasionally work collaboratively with UAF-Sister Funds.
This is a regional position that involves some national, regional and international travel. UAF-Africa is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF-Africa actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. The Fund is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The position is to be based in Southern & Eastern Africa.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Feminist Republik Champion – Anglophone ” in the subject line. No phone calls please.**