COMMUNCATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP ENGAGEMENT OFFICER AT APN
Africa Philanthropy Network (APN) is a continent-wide network of organizations that seek to reclaim the power and elevate African philanthropy practices.
Job Title: Communications and Membership Engagement Officer
Job Location: APN headquarters in Tanzania or Virtually
Reports to: Programs and Development Manager
Leading Role: The Communications and Membership Officer will lead and oversee communications and membership building strategies to advance APN’s mission. The role will involve developing and implementing APN communication strategies using all channels (mainstream, website, and social media). Generate messages and strengthen how APN communicates with its stakeholders (experts and researchers, civil society, private sector, and governments) within the continent and globally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support APN secretariat to improve on its communications strategy and tools for media advocacy.
- Coordinate day-to-day communications by designing relevant institutional communications materials and generating stories and news for the website, mainstream, and non-mainstream media, as well as program activities such as face-to-face and online meetings, research reports.
- Ensure APN’s engagement and communication with its members, catalyzing relationships between them, profile networking events, the membership drive, and devising strategies for innovation and growth.
- Design and coordinate the implement online survey(s) to identify benefits and services that could meet the members’ expectations.
- Collect, analyze and package information through interviews, profiles, articles from APN members, staff, and other network contributors.
- Strengthen APN’s media presence by generating relevant information/news for each media channels contents.
- Support the dissemination of program and development activities through publications and other knowledge products in line with the APN’s Communications Strategy.
- Monitor international media information and specialized philanthropy as well as network communications to keep abreast of relevant stories and trends in the field of philanthropy.
- Produce regular monitoring and other analytical reports on social media and other communication channels outreach to inform the management of the outcomes of APN’s communications strategy and lessons learned. Member Engagement
- Respond to member inquiries via email and escalate challenges to the Programs and Development Manager.
- Manage mailing lists to ensure communication contacts are maintained. Skills and Experience
- The candidate must have a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications for a civil society organization, a media house or private foundation.
- Experience in working with and managing social media platforms, tools and content.
- Proficiency in the use of computers, database systems, and the latest information technology.
- Fluent English necessary, and additional language (French and or Portuguese) is preferred.
- Strong communication skills, oral and written.
- Self-motivated and proactive.
- Creative, adaptable, and independent.
- Team player and team developer.
- Openness to age, gender, class, racial, cultural, and geographic diversity.
- Knowledge about African philanthropy is an asset.
Starting date: As soon as possible
How to apply: To be considered, please submit a cover letter, a résumé, and your salary expectations, as PDF attachments by email to APN Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receiving applications is Tuesday 26th January 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.