APN ESSAY COMPETITION ON THE POWER OF PHILANTHROPIC GIVING TO ADDRESS SOCIAL CHANGE FOR STUDENTS FROM AFRICAN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS
APN is implementing the Giving for Change Program funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Giving for Change is a consortium program that is implemented in collaboration with the Wilde Ganzen Foundation, Global Fund for Community Foundations, and Kenya Community Development Foundation in partnership with National Anchor Institutions in eight countries in the Global South: Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Brazil and Palestine including the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Together we form a Giving for Change Alliance.
APN is leading the advocacy strategy and is responsible to influence in-country national states and societal actors to support community philanthropy and domestic philanthropic giving. In achieving this APN is to work with alliance members and (and others in the larger global south ecosystem) to increase givers/donors awareness on the potential of giving as a driver for social change, and Governments to increased awareness on the importance of facilitating donations to CSOs and other actors in the civil society field.
With that said, there are many ways of working together in achieving this objective. One of the strategies that APN would like to use is to showcase existing and emerging models and practices of philanthropic giving through essay writing. This is an opportunity for African Students to share their views on the role of African Philanthropic Giving in addressing social change in our communities across the African region. We want to hear from the future of Africa, who are the youth, on how we can shape new narratives towards giving for stability, development and change.
Application Criteria and Procedures
- The Essay should be submitted by an African University or College Student aged 18 – 24 years old
- Entry Language: English, Kiswahili, French, and Portuguese
- Entrants should Give Consent to use submitted Essay for Publication on our Website
- Essay should have a maximum of 1300 – 1500 words and font Arial Narrow, font size 11.
- Young women are highly encouraged to participate in the competition
- Submit scanned copy of National ID or Passport.
- Contact Details (Social Media ID’s, Email Address)
- Clear Headshot or Passport Size Photo
- The Essay should be submitted in WORD format to the email email@example.com
Close of Entries: 11th August 2021
Winners Announced: 8th September 2021
Recognition and Awarding of Winners:
First Prize: $350
Second Prize: $300
Third Prize: $250
On top of the Prize Money the winners will get the opportunity to;
- Speak at the APN Continental Youth Summit in November
- Scholarship to attend the in-person meeting
- Feature in the APN Story book for 2021
- Be uploaded on APN Web and Simulizi Blog
- To speak in APN Webinars and join network of Youth Philanthropists
- Be commissioned writers for Sumulizi blog